MelissaRose13

MelissaRose13

If You Lived Here, You'd Be Perfect By Now: The Unofficial Guide to Sweet Valley High
Robin Hardwick
The Eternity Cure
Julie Kagawa
City of Bones
Cassandra Clare
The Space Between - Brenna Yovanoff "God made Adam out of dirt, complete with a soul, and a heart in his chest, and that was the first man. There was a garden filled with beasts, where Adam lived alone. Then, because it wasn’t good for man to be alone, God made Lilith. And that was the first mistake. She came to Adam across a meadow delirious with flowers and he was in love. She didn’t love him back. He didn’t see the darkness in her. He was young and thought that she could change. My father says that’s just what happens when you’re young, but I still think Adam should have known. He should have seen it in her eyes, seen the truth in her jagged fingernails. He should have known you can’t change a girl with iron teeth."

This is quote is part of the prologue and I absolutely loved it. As soon as I read this I knew I was going to enjoy the book because of the dark aura I got just from the first page. Anything depressing is up my alley. I just find that the portrayal of dark things in life is a more accurate description of life than those books that are so cheerful. Not that I don't like cheerful books, but I don't know. I like the showcasing of depressing things. Like one of my professors once said, "Life is pain. And any happiness you get from any relationship will also bring you suffering. That is the truth of life." It's funny, but this was in a class about development and globalization. But the professor can get very philosophical at times, which is absolutely awesome.

Anyway, I think this quote is applicable to this book. Even though I enjoyed the supernatural aspect of it, the demons and angels, what I enjoyed the most was the relationship of the main characters, Daphne and Truman and the type of people they were presented to be. They were nowhere near perfect. In fact, they had many flaws. They were depressing, broken people who were trying to figure out what the whole point of living was, while having to deal with finding Daphne's brother who has mysteriously gone missing and trying to hide from the angel trying to kill Daphne, among other things. Their brokenness is what unites them. Both don't seem to fit in. They have this otherness/sadness vibe to them. Both which are relatable because of how our society is. Sadness/otherness is not something that is encouraged here, it makes you undesirable, unwanted. Which is the core of how they were feeling.

What makes this so relatable to us is that this otherness/sadness they have has to do with not fitting in with a group of people (Daphne is not like her sisters or any of the other demons in Hell) and being lost, alone, and helpless (Truman seems to have nowhere to turn and no way of fixing his life). These are things that we probably have all gone through in our lives at one point or another. It was pretty painful watching these characters suffer. Can you love even though you were designed not to do so? Even though you are not supposed to? Can you still hope and live a happy life even though all you know is despair? How do you even begin to mend your life?

The answer to all these questions is yes, which I loved. The answer to the last question is love. Or at least to me it seemed to me that it was about the redemption and transformative power of love. Once you start feeling a little bit of it, things gradually start getting better. And the more things start improving, the more love you start to feel, which in turn brings you happiness because it brings you a spark of hope. And I think Daphne and Truman were excellent and realistic portrayals of this.

Oh and when you reach 90% of the book, it is heartbreaking. It left me like this:

And it had me thinking, Why did this have to happen now? Why?! D;

I definitely recommend this book to everyone, especially if you like depressing books.

Here's a link to a song that reminds me of this book. Think it's pretty fitting.