MelissaRose13

MelissaRose13

If You Lived Here, You'd Be Perfect By Now: The Unofficial Guide to Sweet Valley High
Robin Hardwick
The Eternity Cure
Julie Kagawa
City of Bones
Cassandra Clare
FISH TANK:  A Fable for Our Times - Scott Bischke I received an autographed copy of this book to review. :D I feel so special that an author would like to know my thoughts on a book they've written. :D

I liked this book. I was so into this book while I was on the train that I got lost on the way home, which shouldn't have even happened because I travel weekly. O_o I got back home really late. I'm glad I made it home because I had no idea where I was and unfortunately for me there were no people around when I finally realized I was lost and got off the train. There wasn't even anyone at the ticket booth and the train stop was in a forest area that made me think of serial killers.

Anyway, this book was well done and it reminded me a of Animal Farm, which is another book I enjoyed and another one of my favorites. I like that this book was easy to read and thus it's accessible to all readers of different ages. But it's simplicity doesn't mean that there isn't a message underneath. That's what I liked most about the book. The parallels that it draws to our the state of our world and how people react when presented with how our world is.

For example, our world is going through global warming, yet there are people who are in denial of this, despite all the evidence at hand. Like some of the characters in the book, some people tend they explain it away, they think it isn't a big deal, etc. It is a big deal and people need to wake up and see this and try to do something about it. Though as in the book, it is probably too late to change some things, but we can always try. I got frustrated with some of the characters in the book because they reminded me of some people in real life. People who don't see what's there, don't care, don't want to acknowledge it, or don't do enough to change things.

One of the characters that frustrated me the most was the goatfish named Hansom aka Doc. He knew what was going on with the environmental changes in their aquarium, but I felt he wasn't as helpful as he should have been. What is the point of having knowledge if you aren't going to use it to change things? I know there were some fish and other creatures that didn't believe, but he could have been more active. Everyone respected him and knew him as intelligent, he could have taken action. Like for example, he could have supervised when they were growing food, swam throughout the aquarium to see how things were running, etc. Instead, he just gave his input about what was going to happen/what was happening and didn't do anything else and that's why the crabs took over pretty easily. It really bothered me. Especially because I see so many people in the real world just sitting around and not doing anything. Not just in regards to climate change, but in other things as well. There is no point in having knowledge if you aren't going to do anything with it. I don't know how Doc was ok with that. He's as much to blame for what happened as Augustus (the person who was supposed to take care of the aquarium while the owner, Professor Brown went away) and as the crabs and as everyone else.

This book was that is reminded me of how our global economic structure works. The scene that really reminded me of this and got to me was when the crabs decided to turn up the thermometer to have food grow faster, so that they could eat more, despite that this was going to make some creatures sick. And when they got sick, they could care less because they were well fed. This actually happens in our world. Corporations set up factories in other countries and not only do the people not get paid well, but they are exposed to harmful toxins because of the lack of sanitation and because of the materials that are used to make certain products (like PVC plastic) and the corporations don't care as long as they are making money.

I also liked that this book showed how some fish and other animals were just accepting what the crabs were telling them, without investigating or taking time to think about the situation. This is something that happens in our world too. I know we get false information at times or don't get any information, but I feel like we need to investigate as much as we can. We can't just blindly trust in what we are being told or shown.

I recommend this book to everyone. It's an easy read and it might make it easier for some people to see how the world actually runs.