MelissaRose13

MelissaRose13

If You Lived Here, You'd Be Perfect By Now: The Unofficial Guide to Sweet Valley High
Robin Hardwick
The Eternity Cure
Julie Kagawa
City of Bones
Cassandra Clare
The Unwanteds - Lisa McMann I have always enjoyed reading books about fantasy and kids particularly because it takes me to different places, which are usually more fun than the real world and because my childhood kinda sucked a lot so I enjoy reading about what I missed. Particularly in the friendship aspect. So when I saw this book, something in me told me to get it to read. I actually didn't get the book though, lol, I made a business deal with someone and this book was part of my payment. :D I have to say though I got the better end of the deal being that I'm not sure why this person wanted my help to begin with because they seemed to already have the advice that they needed. I pretty much just confirmed for them what they already thought of doing. Not sure this person even realized that they really paid me for no reason. @_@ But that's a whole different issue and anyway a deal is a deal. lol.

Anyway, I didn't love this book as I had hoped, but I did like it nonetheless. Kept me entertained on my train rides, which is where I do most of my reading. I have no idea why they described this as The Hunger Games meets Harry Potter because it wasn't like that at all. I mean, the similarities with Harry Potter was that it was fantasy and that it had magic. As for The Hunger Games, the only thing I saw was that it is dystopian. But I guess it was more for marketing purposes than anything else.

One of the things that I enjoyed about this book was the fantasy aspects of it. Thought it was pretty original. I really liked the idea of the kids' creativity used as offensive and defensive weapons. For example, you can paint yourself invisible with a paintbrush and a soliloquy can stun a person. Thought this was neat and I would like to have magic like that. :D Doesn't beat wands though. :P I also enjoyed the characters found in the story, like Mr. Today and Simber. Simber was awesome. :D He's a stone cheetah with huge wings and who I would like to have in my living room. lol. I felt though that some of the characters could have been better developed. They felt a bit generic to me at times and overall I didn't care for them too much.

I thought this book was going to be pretty predictable and in some ways it was, but even so I still found myself surprised in a few occasions. I didn't expect certain revelations that happened, which made me enjoy the book a bit more. I thought the fighting sequence could have been better. I felt it was a bit anti climatic.

Overall, I would recommend this book to people who like kids books and fantasy. Not so much recommended for dystopian lovers, especially if you love The Hunger Games. It's not really like it at all. And most likely, you will be disappointed if you are expecting it to be that way.