MelissaRose13

MelissaRose13

If You Lived Here, You'd Be Perfect By Now: The Unofficial Guide to Sweet Valley High
Robin Hardwick
The Eternity Cure
Julie Kagawa
City of Bones
Cassandra Clare
Forbidden - Tabitha Suzuma Finally I'm writing my review.

I was really looking forward to reading this book. My friend was nice enough to buy it to me and have it shipped to me from the UK. I started reading almost immediately.

I thought this book explored the topic of whether two siblings can fall in love and under what circumstances they could fall in love pretty decently. As I read the book, I wasn't disgusted by their feelings or by the relationship they choose to have. I understood it, in a sense, because it I can see how in a life full of hardships and pain feelings and wants can develop that perhaps wouldn't develop if life was better or happier. Sometimes love is only found in places that it shouldn't be found and it's unavoidable. Sort of reminded me of some studies that I read of how sometimes pedophiles are pedophiles due to the fact that their childhood was robbed and thus they are attracted to children in the sense of the purity and innocence that children represent. And not necessarily attracted to them sexually. Though those feelings do arise, but their feelings are deeper than that. This book also reminded me of The Woodsman, which was a film that explored pedophilia, and it did it tastefully and it was film where you could feel for the character instead of hating him for what he did. It humanized him and he wasn't a monster. He was just a deeply flawed man struggling with life. It's not often that you can feel and be on the side of a pedophile. So I thought the author did a good job with that in this book.

Some of the problems that I had with the book, though it didn't happen that often for me, that sometimes I would get confused as to who's POV I was reading. At one point I thought it was Lochan, when it was actually Maya. I think their voices needed to be a bit more distinct. Maybe it would help if their personalities were a bit more flushed out. Sometimes I felt they were kinda the same type of person, though I think Lochan was a bit more developed. And I liked the scene of where he's having a panic attack. Thought it showed who he was and it was done well.

I didn't really like Maya's character. She was annoying to me a lot of the time. I get that she was in love with Lochan, but sometimes it was so obvious that he did some things wrong and their brother Kit pointed it out, but she wouldn't listen and excuse him with explanations like he did't mean to hurt you, etc. And it seemed like she expected Kit to just put up with it, which was so annoying. If she really cared of the family and making sure they were fine, she would have looked past her love and seen that Kit had a point. Though on the other hand, she is 16, so perhaps I am expecting too much. I don't know. I think you can have common sense even if you're young and in love, but I could be wrong. It just really bothered me. It's like Lochan could do no wrong really. I wanted to smack her sometimes.

Also a lot of the time Lochan and Maya were extremely dramatic. Not about the harshness of their lives, but in context of their love. Always going back and forth of yes let's be together, oh no we can't. It got to be annoying. I get it was a hard decision to make, but.... I don't know. I just felt they were being dramatic sometimes. But then again, as I mentioned previously that could be because of their age. Teenagers tend to be dramatic. Not that I'm that old since I'm in my early 20s, haha, but when I was younger I was more interested in doing well in school and reading so maybe that's why I think they are being dramatic.

All in all, I recommend this book. It's different, handles a hard subject, and I think it does it well.