MelissaRose13

MelissaRose13

If You Lived Here, You'd Be Perfect By Now: The Unofficial Guide to Sweet Valley High
Robin Hardwick
The Eternity Cure
Julie Kagawa
City of Bones
Cassandra Clare
Development and Social Change: A Global Perspective - Philip McMichael This book is one of my favorites of the year and it is a book that I recommend everyone to read. The book might be hard to read for people since it is a textbook and most people don't like to read these sort of things. They only do so as requirement for school. You should read the book though since it pertains to globalization and globalization affects all of us. It is a system that was started to improve our world, though the ongoing results of this goal are debatable. Progress is not necessarily a good thing, nor is it always even necessary. Sometimes people mistake progression as an improvement when it actually isn't. For example, does having more roads around the world, in third world countries make the world better? Why are these roads even made for anyway? And for whom? A lot of the time roads are made to better transport goods and other materials that serve to make money. But money that doesn't benefit people, like indigenous people found in these countries. The money is mostly made for corporations and companies, which isn't fair because the point of globalization is improvement. This demonstrates that globalization doesn't necessarily mean equality for all. That it doesn't work for all people.

In this book you will learn a lot about how globalization started, how it evolved to the globalization project, how it works, and how it affects people around the world. You will learn about the global power structure. You will learn that improvement/progression is measured in economic terms. The most important thing is how much money can be made. Not how happy can you be, how healthy, how much food security people have, etc. And you might be surprised to find that globalization negatively affects many people, more so than positively affects them. I personally wasn't surprised because I have always thought that this world and that the people in it aren't that great a lot of the time. So it wasn't hard for me to accept what I was learning in the book. Not that there isn't any good in this world, but I have always considered myself realistic and I'm ok with stating that a lot of negativity permeates our planet. Whatever problems we might encounter in this country though, we are still far better off than most people in the rest of the world.

What I liked about this book was that it wasn't just a bunch of facts and statistics and things. It has a series of case studies throughout the book so you could better understand the situations globalization brings to all sorts of people. And I liked that the author doesn't ignore the inequalities found on a global scale that are caused by globalization. He talks about race, ethnicity, gender, class inequalities. I find his portrayal of these things very honest. He just presents facts whether we like them or not. This book is a learning experience and by reading it you will expand your knowledge on how this global structure works.

I would like to recommend this documentary that I think goes well with this book. It's empowering, but also upsetting.

ww.youtube.com/watch?v=duFXuRnd2CU